Are you waking up feeling foggy and not well-rested?
In order to wake up feeling refreshed and ready to take on the day, there are a few things you can do to ensure you set yourself up for a good night’s sleep.
Why is sleep important for your health?
Sleep does more than restore your body after a long day. Quality sleep can benefit your health physically and mentally.
Our bodies need time to produce new immune cells and this happens while we are resting. While we are sleeping our bodies work to repair tissues, which includes muscle growth and healing injuries.
Other benefits of sleep include the following:
- Increased energy
- Improved mood
- Heightened focus and creativity
- Improved physical performance and the ability to build muscles
Remember that it’s not about how long we can sleep, but how well we sleep throughout the night.
If you’re having trouble sleeping, your mood the next day will be affected by this. It can lead to an unproductive day and a grumpy attitude.
The impact of sleep loss on your health can include the following:
- Weak immune system (without sleep, your immune system will not function properly)
- Increased risk of diabetes
- Increased risk of heart disease and stroke
- Increases risk of injuries
- Impaired cognitive function
- Reduced reproductive health
- Feeling anxious
What are some things you can do before going to bed to set yourself up for a productive next day?
Book a free 15-minute consultation with one of our Doctors today.